I read Inside Straight by George R.R. Martin a few months ago, but never got around to writing about. It seems like he’s never going to get around to finishing the next book in his A Song of Ice and Fire series, so I decided to read something else by him. Inside Straight is a part of the Wild Cards series. Each book is a collection of related stories written by various authors, and Martin serves as the editor.
The Wild Cards series reminds me a lot of what I’ve heard about the Dr. Who television series. It comes in cycles that last for a few books, then it goes away for a little while, then they bring it back for a while, etc. Inside Straight is the first book in the current cycle.
From what I’ve gathered, about 60 years ago an alien virus that was called the Wild Cards Virus came to Earth somehow. Some people were given superpowers, and they are called aces. Some were hideously deformed, and they are called jokers.
I should have really liked a book about superpowered people, but it was only ok. It focuses on a group of contestants on a reality show for people with superpowers. These people are using their powers in contests to decide who is going to be the next American Hero. There are tragic events going on in the news in Egypt and some of the contestants decide to do the right thing and be real-life heroes. Maybe if they hadn’t spent so much time on the reality show aspect of the story, I would have liked it more. I hate reality shows. It gets much more interesting at the end and I plan on reading the next book in the series.
I don’t think I’m going to get around to even half the books I wanted to read this year.
- World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War, Max Brooks
- Serenity Found, Jane Espenson
- On Bullshit, Harry G. Frankfurt
- On Truth, Harry G. Frankfurt
Memoirs Found in a Bathtub, Stanislaw Lem
- The Stormcaller, Tom Lloyd
- The Day Watch, Sergei Lukyanenko
- The Twilight Watch, Sergei Lukyanenko
- The Final Watch, Sergei Lukyanenko
Inside Straight, George R.R. Martin
- Busted Flush, George R.R. Martin
- The Final Crusade, Chaite Naasiri
- The Darker Mask, George Phillips
- Unholy Domain, Dan Ronco
- The Final Empire, Brandon Sanderson
- The Well of Ascension, Brandon Sanderson
- The Hero of Ages, Brandon Sanderson
- A Memory of Light: The Gathering Storm, Brandon Sanderson
- Flashfoward, Robert J. Sawyer
- Titus Andronicus, William Shakespeare